Pre-Paid

My son, Jason, recently returned from a week at summer camp with his scout troop. During his six day stay, he was able to participate in all the standard camp activities like swimming, hiking, games & campfire festivities. In addition, he was also signed up for specific merit badge classes like archery, camping, and, his favorite, space exploration. DSCN0023But after the first couple of classes in the space workshop, he was disappointed to discover that he couldn’t complete the work for his merit badge because he was required to build and launch a model rocket from a kit… that he didn’t have. The $30 price tag was just too much for him to cover with the small amount of spending money he took with him. So lacking what he needed, he resigned himself to sit through the last part of the class, watching the other boys make and launch their rockets.

It wasn’t until he got home that he realized that his dad had already prepaid for the model rocket and that the full kit was waiting on him at the trading post with his name on it. All he had to do was walk up to the desk, ask for it, and he would have had everything he needed to complete his activity and enjoy the last couple of days of his class. But since he didn’t know his father had purchased all he needed in advance, this lack of knowledge resulted in unnecessary inactivity and frustration.

I hope you can see the correlation between Jason’s predicament and our daily lives as believers in Jesus. We often “do without” or feel as though we “lack” the necessary provision to do what has been planned for us, and resign ourselves to “sit it out” and watch as others move on to reach their goals. We often unnecessarily choose frustration, never realizing that through Christ, our Heavenly Father has already arranged for us to have “everything we need for life and godliness.” (2 Peter 1:3)

But, before think it’s as easy as lining up at some heavenly commissary to get whatever you want, look a little more deeply into Peter’s epistle. Verse 3 says the way we take possession of what’s been provided for us is directly “through our knowledge of Him.”  Though we can understand much about God through the created world and through our experiences, clear and deeper understanding of the Lord comes primarily through His Word. When we devote ourselves to  scripture and submit to its teaching, correcting and training, the end result is that we will be “thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim. 3: 17)

So if you’re watching others spiritually blast off the launching pad, don’t sit idly by. Begin pursuing deeper knowledge of God and you’ll soon find yourself soaring to new heights, thoroughly equipped by what’s already been purchased for you in Christ!

20 thoughts on “Pre-Paid

1. Suzanne says:

Great correlation! Also I felt deeply for Jason. Was he able to get his kit after the fact?

1. Karen says:

Hi Suzanne. Sorry to say Jason didn’t get to build his rocket, but we did get a refund on the money!

1. suzanne says:

I am glad you got the refund! Jason can find comfort in that his situation led you to write this post that inpired us! : )

2. Mel Thompson says:

What a great analogy here for not just the young in spirit, but the older too. Hebrews says FAITH gives the assurance of things we HOPE for… I love the notes I have in the margins of my bible here:
    “Faith is the PRACTICAL EXPRESSION of the confidence in God and His Word.” And HOPE is a heartfelt expectation of something with an outstretched neck!

1. Karen says:

I believe God will teach us His truth through just about anything we encounter. we just have to learn to pay attention! Thanks for your encouragement and great words, Mel!

3. Ariëlla says:

Thanks, this is a very good example; Jesus waiting for us to give us grace. We only need to look up, in confidence our Heavenly Father gives us the Lamb of God to make us happy forever.

Have a nice week!

4. Jeannie Pallett says:

Karen what an eloquent example of all the Father has prepared for us. Just as your son needed only to go to the counter, unsure of what awaited him, we can come boldly to the throne of grace and receive His mercy, grace and help in time of need. He has it all prepared ahead of time for us – such comfort and encouragement in those words. Thank you Karen.

1. Karen says:

It is comforting to know that God has already supplied what we need. We just need to know how to live in an attitude of trust!

5. Kristi Miller says:

This post came at the perfect time for me. We are interviewing with a ministry and the process is kind of a long one and we’re in a phase of waiting. Previously we felt like we understood where God was leading us but because of the “quietness” of the moment (there is training going on currently) it is easy to let those feelings of sitting around set in as we wonder what we’re doing. This is the perfect reminder that He already has it all planned out and our focus shouldn’t be on what might happen tomorrow, but on Him and our walk with Him. Thank you for this beautiful post. I love when you can take these personal moments and relate them back to our relationship with our Heavenly Father. God bless!

6. Carolyn Henderson says:

Good post, good story, and I hope your son and you and your husband were able to put together the rocket together.

I am always mindful of Luke 8:18, in which Jesus tells us to be careful how we listen, because to him who is given, more will be given. God’s teaching comes to us throughout our day, incrementally building upon itself as we listen, absorb, pray, question, and continuously seek more.

7. Sherry Carter says:

Wise post, Karen! God has provided everything we truly need: His love, forgiveness, and grace. When I spend time in His Word, I can focus on my riches in Christ instead of the things I lack here on earth.

8. Walter Kahler says:

You spread the truth through your experiences Karen. Those scriptures only become reality when lived. Every day is an opportunity to embrace God’s word and know Him better. Time on earth is short and our eternal lives rests on how earnestly we seek Him out. Thanks for another excellent post.

9. Deb Palmer says:

Karen
    Love this! When I feel inadequate and therefore hindered to move forward, I remember that He doesn’t call the equipped but equips the called.

10. Steve Swyer says:

Karen,
    What an awesome post! I especially like these thoughts of yours, “We often “do without” or feel as though we “lack” the necessary provision to do what has been planned for us, and resign ourselves to “sit it out” and watch as others move on to reach their goals. We often unnecessarily choose frustration, never realizing that through Christ, our Heavenly Father has already arranged for us to have ;everything we need for life and godliness.’ ” I’ve been there. Done that. I often what all I’ve missed out on when I failed to respond with the confidence that God has already provided all I will ever need. Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing. God bless.

1. Karen says:

Thanks Steve! I’ve been there-done that many times too. But instead of focusing on what we *think* we don’t have, we need to look at what God has already supplied and trust His provision! Appreciate you stopping by!